Last Updated: September 19th, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Read Time: 3 Minutes
Top 10 Solar Energy Facts
Ever get one of those tear-off desk calendars that contain 365 facts, cartoons or jokes as a holiday gift? Depending on their purpose, they can be instructional, fun or both, and they keep giving for a whole year. But POWERHOME Solar knows the internet is not made for 365 bullet points about going solar, so we distilled a list down to 10 excellent reasons why consumers should think about adding solar panels to their home. Just the facts, ma’am.
1. It took nearly 40 years for the U.S. to have 1 million solar installations, and that number was reached in 2016, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association. The 2 million mark is expected to be reached in late 2018, and the number is expected to be 4 million by 2023. Talk about growth!
2. The costs to install solar have dropped by more than 70 percent since 2010 (SEIA). With federal and state tax credits available, those costs continue to go down.
3. Speaking of tax credits, the federal government’s 30 percent federal tax credit ends at the conclusion of 2019. The credit drops to 26 percent for 2020, and to 22 percent for 2021. With that said, there’s no better time to go solar than the present!
4. Solar panels come with a 25-year warranty. Mental math indicates your peace of mind timeline extends to at least 2043. Provided you take care of your system (and that shouldn’t be a problem, given how solar panels are largely maintenance-free), it will take care of you.
5. Solar panels produce no air or noise pollution, and emit no carbon dioxide. The energy is clean and green and allows you to reduce your carbon footprint. Major win for the environment and your wallet. To the latter point …
6. Net metering allows you to profit on excess energy production from your panels. The excess power produced is credited to your power bill, meaning you benefit from everything your system produces.
7. Solar panels figure to increase the value of your home. A study published in 2015 by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory found that “home buyers consistently have been willing to pay more for a property with PV (solar panels) across a variety of states, housing and PV markets, and home types.” The report notes that home buyers outside of California were willing to pay above $3 a watt for homes with solar. Inside the Golden State, the premium was found to be above $4 a watt.
8. Going solar allows you to own your power, not rent your power. You can’t take steps to own utilities such as cable or natural gas, but you can with solar energy. Every solar payment gets you closer to paying off your system and getting all the power that your panels produce for free.
9. You can go solar for $0 up-front cost. In signing up for solar, $0 is due at signing, and your solar payment will be near or below what you’re already paying the power company. The solar payment amount is locked in, so as utility rates continue to increase every year for your neighbors, your payment will remain the same, saving you thousands of dollars.
10. 250,000 people work in the U.S. solar energy industry. POWERHOME Solar is included in that number, and we are proud to be building a movement where customers can gain some independence from the utility company’s perpetual rate increases.
Feel free to fill out the handy form below or give us a call at 800-765-2715, and one of our solar representatives will help you determine whether your home qualifies for this solar program.