Proudly Serving: NC, SC, PA, VA, MI, IN, & OH
Solar cost-power bill-solar power-solar education-Power Home Solar

Solar cost: The importance of your power bill in planning your system

When Power Home Solar prepares to visit your home to determine the size of solar power system that meets your needs, perhaps the most significant piece of information that we collect is your power bill. We look at your past 12 months of electrical usage to understand your usage patterns, and that snapshot helps guide the rest of our projections process.

The next thing we need to know is how much you want your solar system to offset what you are paying the power company. Do you want solar to power 75 percent of your home’s power needs, with the remaining 25 percent being covered by your utility company? Depending on the cost, you may be able to afford a larger system that offsets more of your total power bill, or maybe you opt to start smaller than a 75 percent offset. The number you choose is up to you.

Because everyone’s power needs can differ, two homes of the exact same size may need differing numbers of panels to offset the same percentage of electricity. For example, your home could have an average power bill of $200 a month because you like icebox conditions in the summer and run your central air conditioning more as a result. Meanwhile, your neighbor may keep his or her thermostat a few degrees warmer and pay less. Solar is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. That’s why it is important for us to customize a solar project tailored for your needs.

SOLAR EDUCATION: Power Home teaches the ABCs of going solar

It’s also important to note that the goal of your solar energy system is to offset your energy usage over an entire year, not any given day, week, or month. In the sunnier summer months, your system can generate more energy than you use, generating electric bill credits via a process called net metering. In the cloudier, winter months, your system may generate less energy than you use, and you can use the credits you generated during the summer.

Even if you opt to have your solar system offset 100 percent of your electricity needs, know that you’re still connected to the power company because you need power at night when your solar system is not producing energy. You can’t go completely “off the grid” unless you have a battery-plus-storage unit, and those units are costly. Net metering provides the same effect without the additional equipment and expense.

Want to see if solar is right for you? Power Home would love to be the company you work with to go solar. With our innovative solar program, homeowners can go solar for $0 up-front cost, save money on their electric bills, and generate their own clean energy. The solar panels installed on your home are American made and come with a 25-year warranty, with many panels expected to last well beyond that.

Please feel free to fill out the handy form below or contact Power Home Solar at 800-765-2715, and one of our solar representatives will help you determine whether your home qualifies for this solar program.

Posted in